Leather is a long-lasting and flexible material created by tanning animals rawhide and skins.
What are the types of leather?
- Full-grain or top grain leather
- Corrected or embossed grain
- Split suede, functional or inexpensive leather
- Nubuck suede grain or very sensitive leather
- Reconstructed, bonded or fibre leather or recycled leather.
What is meant by leather making?
Leather making is also known as leather crafting is an art of shaping and colouring of leather.
What are the animals hide used to make leather?
- Buffalo hide
- Pig hide
- Sheep hide
- Lamb hide
- Deer hide
- Elk hide
- Crocodile hide
- Alligator hide
- Stingray hide
- Snake hide
- Shark hide
What are the leather making techniques?
Leather is turned into a fine product in leather making workshop or leather factory where there include various crafting techniques. They are
- Dyeing “the process of dyeing includes oil-based, alcohol-based and water-based”.
- Painting “leather painting is varied from leather dyeing, where dyeing present in all over the leather and painting present only on the surface of the leather.”
- Carving “the process to bring leather into a fine shape called carving. Carving tools are swivel knife, veiner, beveler, pear shader, seeder.”
- Stamping “stamping of leather is used to do imprints on the surface of the leather.”
- Moulding / Shaping “soaking a piece of leather into the water to highly increase flexibility.”
- Laser cutting/etching “this process contains carbon dioxide lasers cut leather very smoothly at lower pressure can give a detailed design.”
- Perforation “the output of punching that provides for the manufacture of a large number of leather into sheets.”
- Pyrography “it is the process of doing art with a hot needle to make a drawing on leather.”
Which place is famous for leather?
The leather city of the world is Kanpur (India). It has the finest and largest tanneries in the world. East India Company is the one which started in the 19th century is the first company of leather manufacturing.
What are the products of leather?
The products are boots, shoes, slippers, sandals, belts, purses, briefcases and other leather accessories.
What are the uses of leather?
The main uses are
- Binding “it is regularly used to binding the books.”
- Clothing “it helps to manufacture pant, skirt, raincoats, jackets.”
- Footwear “it is the most common uses of leather including boots, shoes, slippers, and other footwear products.
- Furniture “ recliners, couches, chairs which is made of leather.Gloves “it is Watches “leather wristwatch straps are very common, as well as bangles and other jewellery.”
- Sports “it is used to produce footballs and baseball gloves.”
- Bags “backpacks, satchels, wallets as well as purses which are made of ”
- Cases “it helps to manufacture sunglass case and smartphone case.”
- Holsters “it is commonly used as quivers, knife sheaths, and gun holsters.”
- Accessories “it helps to manufacture personal accessories like belts, etc…”
What are the disadvantages of leather?
- More sensitive to fluctuations in temperature.
- Very consistent in wearing and tearing.
- More limited on colour and pattern.
- In some rare cases, it creates allergies to human skin.
- Creating a severe environmental degradation on mankind tanning process in the leather industry.